My study of fire has been very… illuminating- pun intended.
Reigniting the flame within, shined a light on everything I didn’t want to see. It exposed shadows I had long suppressed out of fear & sheer denial. It was- for lack of a better word- intense.
But how did I manage to reignite this inner-flame after years of neglecting it?
The answer was simple. Return to my Astral Realm and visit an old friend.
If you work with Dragon Energy, you may already know that a Mon-Tey is your personal draconic guardian and assists in your magick, works with your abilities and offers protection. Each and every soul is born with one and they have been with us through many, many lifetimes. When you first start working with your dragon you can refer to them as Mon-Tey, but when the time is right, you may give them their own name- just be sure to keep this name a secret for it is extremely personal.
So, how do you meet your Mon-Tey?
There are wonderful Dragon Meditations available online which can provide a foundation for your initial connection with them. However, the most spiritually fulfilling interaction I had with my dragon was through a meditation of my own design.
All of my meditations take place within my Astral Realm. Through these meditations, I discover more about my astral landscape and explore various aspects of my psyche through these journeys.
I created a grimoire page dedicated to my Fire Dragon Meditation, and although I don’t wish to share it due to its very personal nature, I did want to offer some tips on creating your own meditation in order to meet your very own Mon-Tey.
- Do you have an Astral Realm? Is there a place in your mind that you return to over and over again in meditations? What does it look like? Is it a forest? A valley? A desert?
- Tell yourself, you are on a journey to meet your Mon-Tey. Explore further within your Astral Realm in search of your Spirit Dragon. Where does your psyche take you? Look at the landscape around you. What does it look like? Follow your intuition. Where is it taking you?
- Take notice of your journey. Is it an arduous trek? Is it a nice, carefree stroll? Do you come across any beings along your way or is it a journey of complete solitude?
- You’ve come to your final destination. This is the home of your Spirit Dragon. Where are you? How does this place make you feel?
- Where is your Mon-Tey? Are they there to eagerly greet you or do you have to summon them? If so, how do you call out to them?
- Finally you see your dragon. Look at their size, shape & color down to the very last detail. How do they interact with you? What is their personality like?
- Listen to their wisdom. Do they have any messages or advice for you?
- Interact with your dragon. What do you choose to do? Play music? Dance? Laugh? Tell stories? Go for a ride on their back?
- Listen to your instincts. Give them the first name that comes to mind. Don’t be surprised if they give you your own draconic name.
- Find ways to connect with your Mon-Tey in the physical realm as well. Decorate your altar in their honor. Carry a special talisman dedicated to them. Create a chant to invoke their energy when you need it the most.
Meeting my Mon-Tey reignited my sacred flame. I felt a shift within me immediately. It was an intense mixture of high energy and overwhelming sadness. I felt extremely guilty for neglecting my sacred fire- a fire that needed to be stoked for my sake as well as my Mon-Tey’s.
In this process, I’ve also discovered my personal correspondences with fire. I tend to relate fire energy to the Ego. If the fire is too low, cold depression and low self-esteem soon follows. If the fire is too high, it consumes the mind with selfish & egocentric thoughts.
And as with any light source, my now thriving flame revealed aspects of my shadow that I had pushed down and pretended didn’t exist. I could no longer hide from them anymore. Fire showed me the truth. And with the help of my Mon-Tey, I have the strength and courage I need to face my shadows head on.
I learned when it comes to Shadow Work, the elements of fire and water work hand in hand. Fire reveals the ugliness while water heals the pain. This next phase in my Elemental Studies will focus on the restorative energies of water and its powers of rebirth.
It’s about to be an emotional ride- and thus begins my work with Water.
The Snow Orchid Witch